Thursday, June 4, 2009

Post 14 Essay

As I look out into the crowd, I can see successful kids, no I see successful adults. I see future lawyers, some professional athletes, and even some novel or poem writers, that’s all I see, no criminals, no gang bangers. I know many of you out there and I know how promising you all can become, but you can’t give up. I know for a fact that all the things I’ve been through, I won’t change a thing about my life, and I know you guys won’t change anything about your life either.
Now I know some of you guys think this is it no more school, no more waking up a dawn and no more hard obstacles to face, but let me tell there’s no dead end on this one way road, that we call life. You might not go to college, but just remember that if you don’t go to college, you won’t be very successful, and I’m sure you’ll regret it later on in life. This is no time for excuses, this is life and you can’t excuse yourself from it.
My whole life I’ve been looked down on because I’m an Mexican-American, and everyone thought I would amount to nothing and I know if those people saw me now, they would be on their knees, apologizing. Except for one. Now I’m not going to mention any names, but he knows who he is. He ignored me my whole life, that was ok, he never really cared, that was ok, but the one thing that wasn’t ok was what he told me to do at college. He doesn’t care what classes I take, he doesn’t even care what I’m going to major in. The only thing he cares about is that I get a husband and I’m telling him right now it’s not going to happen. I’m going to focus on my future, and then find someone to settle down with. As I leave you now, just remember one this …. Follow your heart, not anyone else is. Thank you.
( I looked up in the audience, and that man was crying.)

No comments:

Post a Comment